Are Students Exempt From Council Tax?

Written by Charlotte Sides

Are Students Exempt From Council Tax?

Yes. Yes, they are.

Council Tax is the tax we all have to pay to our councils for local services like road maintenance, bin collections, emergency services and loads of other stuff. Luckily for you, as a household full of full-time students*, you’re exempt from Council Tax. You don’t have to pay a penny.

The thing is, you can’t just sit back and roll around in all the fivers you’re saving. You have to actually register as a student with your local council otherwise you’ll find an unwanted Council Tax bill on your doorstep.

Rather than leave you to figure it out on your own, we’ve pulled together a step-by-step guide for first-timers to make things a little easier and a whole lot less stressful for you.

A Step-By-Step Guide to Avoiding Council Tax

Step 1: Find out who your local council is.

If you live in the middle of a town or city, this will be easy. If you live on the outskirts somewhere, it might be worth double checking because if you register with the wrong council, you might still find yourself facing a Council Tax bill.

Head to the website and search for your local council by typing in the postcode for your new gaff.

Step 2: Head to your local council’s website.

Every local council in the UK has their own website. The thing is, every council website is different. You’re looking for either the Council Tax section and then the Discounts and Exemptions page or a Student section of the site.

Failing that, you could just search the site for Student Council Tax Exemption (there’s usually a search bar in the top right corner).

Step 3: Fill in an exemption form.

Once you’ve found the right section of your council’s website (some council websites are pants so it might take a bit of hunting), you will be presented with an option to either download and fill in an exemption form or fill in the form online. Some sites will give you the option whereas others might only have one way to apply.

If you get the choice, online will probably be easier (especially if you don’t have your own printer). The council will ask for proof that you’re a student. This might be by entering your student email address, student ID number, or actually provide a student certificate (which you should be able to get through your uni portal).

Submit or post your exemption form, and you’re all done.

Step 4: Treat yourself with the money you’ve saved.

Wahoo! You’re Council Tax free! Go and treat yourself to a takeaway to celebrate…

*You’re only exempt if all of your housemates are full-time students. If you’re living with a non-student or two, the rules are slightly different. You will still be exempt (as a student) but any non-students living with you will have to pay Council Tax. If you’re living with one non-student, they will be able to apply for a single person discount.

Share This Post

Like What You See?

FREE Quote