Different Types of Bills to Consider when Moving in

Want to know how much bills cost in the UK for students?

Moving into university-shared accommodation is an exciting step in life. It can also be a nerve-wracking experience! To make things a bit easier (and less of a shock), we’ve put together the average costs of student bills per month and per week so you can be prepared to set aside some of your student loan and budget for the fun stuff!

Bills not included in your rent price?

Split The Bills bundles your choice of the bills into one easy payment. Avoid the awkward bill chat with your housemates, go spend more time enjoying student life!

  • Your choice of energy, superfast broadband, water and a TV licence.
  • Avoid arguments by everyone paying the same share.
  • We set up the utilities for your house – so sit back, and relax.
  • Less time worrying about bills = more time to enjoy being a student.

Types of bills

Energy (gas and electric)

Calculating the average energy bill can be tricky. There are several factors that contribute to how much you pay per month. For example, you will obviously pay more during winter months to keep the house snug and warm.

You can pay for gas and electricity separately – but some people pay for them together as a dual fuel bill.

Water and sewage

There are two ways the water usage in your house will be measured:

  • Metered – Most UK companies offer a choice of metering or metered service. According to Ofwat, the average metered bill is lower than the average non-metered bill but this is only the case with fewer people, a large house-share would benefit from being unmetered.
  • Unmetered – Your bill will be charged based on the ‘rateable value’ of your home, this is your local authority’s assessment of the rental value of your property.

With a majority of providers, you have to sign up for a minimum of 12-month contract. This is means you’ll be paying for your broadband after you’ve probably gone back home.

You’ll have to figure out how heavy your internet usage is – light browsing of social media doesn’t need a fast speed. However, for things like Netflix and online gaming you’ll want a faster speed.

If three or more people are living together, we recommend you look at fibre optic broadband, as this can give you the necessary speeds to all use the internet without interruption. Obviously, faster speeds mean a higher price, but the more of you that share a house the less you’ll need to pay for faster broadband.

TV licence

You’ll need to be covered by a TV licence to:

  • Watch or record live TV programmes on any channels (including BBC, Channel 4, Sky etc.)
  • Download or watch any BBC programmes on iplayer (you don’t want to miss Masterchef do you?!)

You need to pay your licence fee if you do any of the above – it’s the law. For more information about students and TV licences, click here.

Split The Bills

It can be an absolute faff trying to organise bills – you’ve got to compare deals, pay multiple bills AND chase your housemates to cough up for their share.

Split The Bills can save you the hassle of organising all of that! You’ll have just one bill to pay per month, and every housemate is responsible for their own share. What’s more, Split The Bills offers risk-free energy packages meaning you can use energy without the risk of a huge final bill.

For more information about what we do for you, click here.

Split The Bills Logo - Shared Billing Sorted For Students.

Why stop here? We make bills for students easy.

Electricity. Gas. Broadband. Water. TV Licence.
All in one equally split monthly bill. Nice.

Related content

Setting up your energy bills

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. For more information read our Privacy Policy